2011 Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel capable to run on B20 biofuel, says GM

Article by Christian Andrei, on August 27, 2010

General Motors Co.'s next-generation Duramax diesel engine is highly anticipated. GM revealed recently that the new engine can run on a 20% blend of biodiesel (B20).

Mike Robinson, GM's vice-president of Environment, Energy and Safety Policy, said that the B20 capability in its heavy-duty trucks is the latest to an increasing number of alternate fuel options offered by General Motors.

Biodiesel -- a byproduct of mixing alcohol, animal fats or vegetable oils, and a catalyst -- actually contains no petroleum. But often, it is blended with traditional diesel fuel. For instance, 20% of B20 is biodiesel, with the remaining 80% comprised of diesel oil.

The National Biodiesel Board claims that a B20 blend can cut hydrocarbon emissions by 20%, and cut carbon monoxide and particulate matter by 12%.

The new Duramax can accept the B20 at the most but this is considered a major improvement over the current engine, which can't run anything higher than B5.

To prepare the engine for the fuel, GM will have to modify seals, fuel lines, and gaskets to tolerate the corrosive properties of the fuel. In addition, changes were made to the fuel filters. To help prevent gelling in the cold weather, the entire fuel circuit is heated.

Furthermore, Ford's new 6.7-liter Power Stroke twin-turbocharged diesel V-8, used in the new 2011 Super Duty, is also B20 compliant. Dodge offers its heavy-duty Ram with a B20-compliant version of the Cummins 6.7-liter turbo-diesel I-6; however, this is available only to commercial and fleet customers.

Later this week, we will see GM's largest full-size trucks unveiled at the 2010 Chicago auto show. We'll likely receive more specifications by then. The next-generation Duramax diesel engine will power the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD models.

Topics: gm, diesel, engine

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Hyundai is making the green vehicle race more competitive by offering three powertrain types -- pure electric (EV), hybrid (EV plus combustion engine) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) – in one...
by - December 9, 2016
Although specs for the new Renault Megane had already surfaced several weeks ago, we didn’t know that the company has cooked up something new. Aside from the 200hp gasoline, Renault‘s...
by - December 9, 2016
For the first time in fifty-eight years, Infiniti registers its first US-Spec Q60 Coupe in Cuba. American products have not been allowed entry into Cuba for six decades. But it...
by - December 9, 2016
Chevrolet has already given out the pricing for some of its 2018 Equinox models. Not only will the new Equinox be available in both the US and Canada, it is...
by - December 9, 2016
Nearly all details have been set with regards to the upcoming market introduction of the new Jaguar I-Pace. Its production version was recently previewed at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto...
by - December 8, 2016
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries