Audi introduces TT Coupe S Line Competition Special Edition

Article by Christian A., on July 3, 2012

In an attempt to boost TT sales, Audi unveiled the TT Coupe S Line Competition Special Edition. The new model will be available for all engine versions up to 155 kW (211 hp). So, for just €4,300 you will get a car with newly designed bumpers, air inlets and side sills, new S line badges, tailpipe trims and a new air diffuser. Moreover, Audi added a new fixed rear wing inspired by the TT RS.

At no extra charge, Audi offers plenty of paint finishes, such as Samoa Orange, metallic, Glacier White, metallic, Daytona Gray, pearl effect and Misano Red. The first visual impact with the car also shows a sporty black styling package: the radiator grille is framed in high-gloss black while the radiator grille insert, while the matt black is found on the fog light grille and license plate frame.

Other features include the high-gloss black exterior mirror housings, the blade below the front bumper, the diffuser insert, the tailpipe trims and the rear wing spoiler. The design is completed by the 19-inch wheels in a five-arm “Rotor” design painted in black. Moreover, the new S line suspension lowers the car by 10 millimeters (0.39 mm).

Inside, the sporty theme is continued and offers special door sill trims, the extended aluminum-look trim, the leather package, the sport seats and the short shift travel for the manual transmissions. Just like the TT RS, the TT Coupe S Line Competition Special Edition features a leather multifunction sport steering wheel flattened at the bottom. The seats are offered as standard with perforated Alcantara upholstery in combination with black leather and silver contrast stitching. The inlays are made of matt brushed aluminum; with the Samoa Orange exterior finish, these are replaced by inlays with a reflex finish in the body color.

The main reason why the Audi TT is able to offer exceptional driving dynamics and pioneering efficiency can be traced to the body. It makes use of the hybrid Audi Space Frame (ASF) technology, which reveals that the front section all the way to the B-pillar is made up of lightweight aluminum. The rear end meanwhile uses steel panels instead.

Because of this combination, the engineers who worked on the Audi TT during the development stage were able to perfect balance the vehicle’s axial loads. Further, the engineers managed to keep the overall weight low. This gave it the qualities in needed to be able to have a dynamic performance. For those who are wondering just how light the Audi TT is, the body has an overall weight of 454.15 lbs. (205 kg).

This is divided into aluminum at 68% and it has total weight of 308.65 lbs. (140 kg). The remaining 32% is due to steel which weighs at 145.51 lbs. (66 kg). For the reinforcements, like the windshield frame, A-pillar, ribbed sills, and steel bulkhead, the split between aluminum and steel is at 58:42. Now while the bodies are indeed lightweight, it does not mean that it is the only thing it is good for.

Vehicle bodies that use ASF are strong and help lower vibration. This allows for a more precise and athletic handling while being able to deliver as well a ride with a high amount of passive safety.

Safety is indeed prioritized especially with the retention systems in place that protect occupants should a crash occur. Further, the lightweight construction is complemented by a classic cloth top. Since it fits easily to the design line and uses little amount of space when it is folded, it helps with the vehicle having a low center of gravity.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

British luxury automaker Aston Martin celebrates its new partnership with the Henley Royal Regatta sporting event by designing a one-off DB11 sports car that they recently revealed. The car explores...
by - June 28, 2017
The 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat as we know, is the Demon's less powerful sibling, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But have you ever imagined how it would look...
by - June 28, 2017
Sorry Uber, but Handsome Cabs taxi company has something no one else can offer - a Lamborghini Huracan that can take their clients from Point A to Point B. This...
by - June 28, 2017
BMW saw a potential oil leak on the new M760Li, prompting them to recall the said vehicle last April. Today, a little over two months after issuing the first recall,...
by - June 28, 2017
Without a doubt, the SUV segment is getting increasingly more saturated. This month alone, we were greeted with city-oriented SUVs from the Kia Stonic to the Hyundai Kona, and now...
by - June 27, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries