F1 future still in doubt

Article by Christian A., on August 29, 2010

A walkout took place at an FIA meeting called to discuss regulations for next year's Formula One event. During the meeting, which was held in Nurburgring, FIA Charlie Whiting told the eight Formula One Teams Association outfits that they were currently entered into the 2010 Formula One championship and have no voting rights in relation to the technical and sporting regulations.

A FOTA statement said it will be remembered that all eight active FOTA members were included on the 'accepted' entry list as endorsed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) and communicated by FIA press statement on June 24. The next day's meetings were asked to be postponed by the FOTA representatives due to these claims.

However, this was rejected on the grounds that no new Concorde Agreement would be permitted before a unanimous approval of the 2010 regulations was achieved. The statement continues: As endorsed by the WMSC and clearly stated in the FIA press statement of 24 June. The rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

At no point in the Paris discussions was any requirement for unanimous agreement on regulations change expressed. To subsequently go against the will of the WMSC and the detail of the Paris agreement puts the future of Formula 1 in jeopardy.

Because of these statements, the FOTA representatives at the next Technical Working Group were unable to exercise their rights and felt that they had no option other than to end their participation.

F1's commercial rights holder CVC is said to be upset by this development. FOTA didn´t mention it in its statement but it appears the threat of a breakaway series is very real. The FIA has not commented on the matter. [via autocar]

Topics: formula 1

If you liked the article, share on:

Pin It

Comments

Recommended

South Korean car company SsangYong recently revealed sketches of their upcoming SUV. We’re not always impressed by Korean car designs, but this one looks quite promising. Yup, it is the...
by - March 26, 2017
Twenty-eight years after the company was first launched by Toyota, which was initially targeted to the United States market only, Lexus has already made its way to over 70 countries....
by - March 26, 2017
Last year was probably Porsche’s best year ever in terms of sales. Their factory in Stuttgart delivered 237,778 cars in total, which represents a six percent increase compared to the...
by - March 26, 2017
Lamborghini has disclosed that it is looking into the possibility of releasing electric vehicles. With the Volkswagen Group revealing that it will be releasing electric vehicles within several years, there...
by - March 25, 2017
Daimler AG, through its Smart division, has disclosed that its two electric models, the Smart ForTwo and the Smart ForFour are now open for orders in Germany. Official market launch...
by - March 25, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries