The year 2016 will bring in FCA’s array of Uconnect systems that display highly advanced features like a faster start-up performance, more responsive touchscreens, processing power improvements, high resolution touchscreen display and brightness, better touchscreen controls, and the Uconnect 8.4 NAV system.
Meanwhile, some select models will also include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Apple CarPlay: Through this system, iPhone users can use their devices smartly and safely inside a car. Apple CarPlay allows seamless integration of an iPhone with the vehicle’s in-built controls and display along with Siri voice control. The app permits drivers to access music, make phone calls, send and get messages, receive messages according to traffic conditions, and many more features that can be used while driving.
Android Auto: This feature permits safer methods of using their Android phones during driving. The Android user can easily access Google through this system which shares useful information while driving. Some of its salient features are: Google Maps that use free voice-guided navigation, lane guidance and live traffic information; Google Play Music that offers on-demand access to 30 million songs; the service of hands-free calling and messaging while driving; and asking questions on Google search. One can also access popular apps and content through the touchscreen. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will bring the ultimate in-vehicle digital technology for the 2016 exhibit at CES. Drivers can achieve a smooth balance in their Car Life with the personalised driving experiences that ensure seamless integration of the concepts of vehicle, technology, people and their environment.
The key-points of the futuristic concept are:
• Predictive technology – This advanced system observes the daily habits of the driver such as personal preferences, traffic patterns and personal calendar events. The system then produces the much needed personalised information to the vehicle’s driver at just the right time.
• Vehicle-to-X communication – Through this concept, vehicles can communicate with the other vehicles as well as with the roadside. FCA incorporates wireless technology within the vehicle, thus helping drivers with warnings to avoid common crash type accidents like lane change, rear-end and intersection hits.
• Workload manager – This efficient tool minimizes distraction by identifying a critical driving situation and prioritizing the information that will be delivered to the driver at such moments.
• Privacy mode – It detects the presence of passengers in the vehicle and thus transfers the driver’s personal information to the instrument clusters through the Uconnect.
• Intelligent concierge – This instrument is intelligent enough to understand driver preferences so that it can provide personalised suggestions in accordance with the driver’s exact needs. Aside from these driver-friendly features, the technology also focuses on connecting the vehicle with the other on-road vehicles in the same community by sharing location information.
• Community tagging – This safety feature allows the vehicle to identify hazardous road conditions so that this information can be shared with other vehicles of the community members who can then avoid travelling from the same location.
• Follow-me-mode – This allows other community members to send requests to follow other vehicles.
• Augmented reality heads-up display – Through this system, the windshield is changed into a display which gives important information like blind spot detection, parking instructions and snow road assistance.
Police-exclusive Uconnect 12.1 featured in 2016 Dodge Charger Pursuit
The all new Uconnect 12.1 touchscreen system has been exclusively designed to give policemen a horde of advantages. The system provides complete integration to the Dodge Charger Pursuit’s mobile command capabilities. One of its most prominent features is a 12.1 inch High resolution touchscreen display, which is five times larger in the panel’s centre. Its ergonomic location is another plus point on top of its large 1024-by-768 pixel display of Uconnect radio and vehicle controls.
A menu bar at the top of the screen allows the ability to toggle to a law enforcement officer’s computer. The system’s touchscreen can split to display the award winning 8.4 inch Uconnect interface (640 by 480 pixels).
The Dodge Charger Pursuit’s intuitive cockpit has efficient vehicle controls for radio and climate. Besides, the user can also use the switches located on the back side of the steering wheel, touchscreen display, voice commands and a host of other knobs and controls.