Fiat labor leaders to meet with UAW union next week

Article by Anita Panait, on October 17, 2013

Labor leaders at Fiat Group will hold a meeting with top officials of the United Auto Workers union next week as part of efforts to break a stalemate over the carmaker’s bid to merge with Chrysler Group. Chrysler-Fiat chief executive Sergio Marchionne is being compelled by VEBA, a UAW retiree health-care trust, to get ready for Chrysler’s initial public offering after the two sides remain in dispute over the value of the shares owned by the fund.

Chrysler filed for an IPO on Sept. 23, 2013. Fiat holds 58.5 percent of Chrysler while VEBA owns the remaining 41.5 percent. Ferdinando Uliano, Fim Cisl national secretary in charge of Fiat relations, remarked that they are worried that an IPO “would harm” the merger of the two carmakers." He said that they will tell the UAW that only a merger of Fiat and Chrysler would “grant a positive future for both companies' workers."

He said that a Fim Cisl delegation will hold a meeting with UAW leaders, including President Bob King, in Detroit. Uliano will be part of the delegation. Marchionne has been trying to combine Fiat and Chrysler to create a global carmaker large enough to rival Toyota Motor Corp., General Motors Co. and Volkswagen Group.

VEBA is asking for at least $1 billion more than what Fiat wants to pay. Fiat has said that an IPO may place the carmakers’ relationship at risk. Once Fiat fully acquires Chrysler, it could fully tap the US carmaker's $12 billion in cash to help finance its turnaround in Europe. Fiat posted a 3-percent drop in sales in Europe in September, despite the region logging a 5.5 percent surge in the month.

Topics: fiat, uaw

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

One of the executives at Volkswagen tagged in the so-called Dieselgate scandal has pleaded not guilty to a list of allegations surrounding the carmaker’s actions to cheat emissions regulations in...
by - February 27, 2017
When the Crown De Luxe saloon was first released in 1972, it was at that time the most lavish Toyota model available to British customers. Both unusual and exclusive, one...
by - February 27, 2017
The ride-sharing fleet of sharing Lyft Inc. will soon include thousands of specially fitted self-driving Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicles, courtesy of General Motors. If plans push through, Lyft’s clients would...
by - February 27, 2017
J.D. Power has officially released the 2017 Vehicle Dependability Study, an annual list of the most dependable brands in the auto industry. Once again coming on top is Lexus, the...
by - February 26, 2017
Citroen revealed that its entry to the Chinese market is moving forward with the planned release of the new generation C5. While still on sale on this part of the...
by - February 26, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries