Fiat receives 500 million euro bank loan for Serbian production

Article by Christian Andrei, on January 31, 2011

The European Investment Bank (EIB) said that, in 2011, it will lend EUR500 million ($684 million) to a joint venture with Fiat S.p.A. in the central town of Kragujevac, Serbia.

The EIB said the loan will help modernize and expand production capacity of the Fiat Automobili Srbija (FAS) facility, which currently makes the Fiat Punto Classic model, and aid investment in civil works, equipment and machinery and infrastructure.

EIB spokesman Marko Santarelli told Reuters that the timing of the signature will depend on the Fiat Group’s investment needs.

He added that it is likely that more than one finance contract will be signed, as such investment needs some time to be implemented. FAS has a long-term goal of producing 200,000 cars annually and generating about EUR2 billion. 

Fiat has a 67 percent stake in FAS, which has absorbed Serbia's former sole car maker Zastava, while the government in Belgrade has the remaining 33 percent.

The Punto Classic model produced in Kragujevac is sold in Serbia and nearby markets. Fiat has plans to discontinue its production in Serbia.

In July 2010, a Serbian Economy Ministry official said that Fiat planned to start test production of two new small minivan models in Serbia in the second half of 2011. Code-named L0, the two small minivans will replace the Fiat Idea and Multipla. [via autonews - sub. required]

Topics: fiat, serbia

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Did you miss the opportunity to get a brand new Dodge Viper? Well, here’s something you don’t want to miss. Dodge has announced a “final call” for orders for its...
by - December 6, 2016
Acura fans and customers rejoice! Sales have begun for the flagship model of Acura’s RLX top-of-the-range sedan – the 2017 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid. Described by Acura as its most...
by - December 6, 2016
Autonomous cars are slowly but surely gaining more appeal among drivers around the world. While a complete self-driving system has yet to be launched, carmakers have been finding ways to...
by - December 6, 2016
BMW has officially ended the production cycle for what is considered as its meanest and fastest sports car – the BMW M4 GTS. Basically a power-up evolution of the BMW...
by - December 6, 2016
Now that Lamborghini is set to bring a “more aggressive” Aventador, it only makes sense that it will be given a name. Seeing how it goes, perhaps we won’t be...
by - December 6, 2016
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries