Fiat to proceed with the conversion of savings shares

Article by Christian Andrei, on April 4, 2012

Fiat will proceed with the conversion of its savings class of shares into ordinary shares, the automaker disclosed. This initiative will simplify the capital structure of Fiat, making it easier to purchase the 41.5% of Chrysler it doesn't already own. The conversion was announced in October. It removes a shareholder class which has a blocking vote on decisions like takeover bids and mergers. 

Fiat revealed that on Monday, the holders of the savings shares have agreed to the plan with an approved conversion ratio of 0.85 ordinary shares per preference share. Savings shares give a greater dividend compared to ordinary shares. The conversion will be subject to approval at the annual shareholder's meeting of Fiat to be held on April 4. 

Since a 2009 bailout deal with the U.S. government, Fiat has been managing Chrysler. Currently, it owns 58.5% in the third largest U.S. automaker. The U.S. union trust fund VEBA has the remaining 41.5%. VEBA is seeking to cash in on its holding. Chrysler and Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne had previously stated that Fiat would not commence discussions with VEBA regarding purchasing its share until the second half of this year.

Topics: fiat, shares

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Hyundai is making the green vehicle race more competitive by offering three powertrain types -- pure electric (EV), hybrid (EV plus combustion engine) and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) – in one...
by - December 9, 2016
Although specs for the new Renault Megane had already surfaced several weeks ago, we didn’t know that the company has cooked up something new. Aside from the 200hp gasoline, Renault‘s...
by - December 9, 2016
For the first time in fifty-eight years, Infiniti registers its first US-Spec Q60 Coupe in Cuba. American products have not been allowed entry into Cuba for six decades. But it...
by - December 9, 2016
Chevrolet has already given out the pricing for some of its 2018 Equinox models. Not only will the new Equinox be available in both the US and Canada, it is...
by - December 9, 2016
Nearly all details have been set with regards to the upcoming market introduction of the new Jaguar I-Pace. Its production version was recently previewed at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto...
by - December 8, 2016
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries