Ford settled a lawsuit over the Explorer rollover death

Article by Christian A., on September 4, 2010

The lawsuit failed against Ford Motor Co. over the death of a New York Mets minor league baseball player was settled after a jury ordered the company to pay $131 million to his estate. The verdict was handed down by a Jasper County, Miss. jury.

Attorney Tab Turner, who represented the family of Brian Cole, said that the settlement is confidential and was made before punitive damages were considered. In March 2001 in Florida, 27-year-old Cole was ejected from an Explorer as he was on his way home from spring training with the Mets.

Turner said that there was physical evidence that Cole had still been wearing the belt when he was thrown out of the car.

In addition, the jury awarded $1.5 million to Cole's cousin, Ryan, who was injured. According to Bloomberg data, this is the eighth-largest jury award in 2010.

It's also the ninth biggest US verdict against an automaker. Marcey Evans, a Ford spokeswoman, claimed that Brian Cole “was not wearing his safety belt.”

She added that Ryan, who had been properly belted, “walked away from the accident.” She asserted that Cole had been driving at more than 80mph before he drifted off the road and lost control of the Explorer. [via Autoblog]

If you liked the article, share on:

Pin It

Comments

Recommended

Reddit user Jdubbswrx spotted a rather deceptive move coming from the German automotive manufacturer Audi. He posted an image of the supposed exhaust of the new 2018 Audi SQ5 sporting...
by - March 29, 2017
McLaren car owners will be thanking the automotive company as it has decided to roll out new goodies for the 540C, 570S and 570GT sports car line-up. From this series...
by - March 29, 2017
On July 11, Audi is set to reveal its flagship luxury sedan, the all new A8. And at this moment, none of us are sure how this model will look....
by - March 29, 2017
The recent Porsche 911 is definitely considered one of the most elite sports car to grace the roads worldwide. The task of producing its successor is challenging enough for the...
by - March 29, 2017
British startup Zenos, which entered bankruptcy administration earlier this year is now back in business. The Norfolk-based sports car manufacturer was bought by a consortium of investors headed by AC...
by - March 29, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries