GM asks NY court to shield it from faulty ignition switches lawsuits

Article by Christian A., on April 26, 2014

General Motors Co. is asking the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York to enforce bankruptcy protection terms that bar pre-bankruptcy issue lawsuits. An enforcement of the terms would mean GM would be shielded from lawsuits stemming from faulty ignition switches in cars sold before its 2009 bankruptcy.

Plaintiffs suing GM has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit in Manhattan bankruptcy court, asking it to rule that the carmaker cannot use the bankruptcy protection to shield itself from liabilities. Under the terms of GM’s bankruptcy protection, the "New GM" would not bear any liability for incidents that predate its bankruptcy emergence.

Likewise, lawsuits involving pre-bankruptcy issues should be brought against what remains of “Old GM.” In its recent motion, GM said that that plaintiffs cannot use the New GM's recall covenant to sue new GM for economic damages over a vehicle or part sold by old GM. The carmaker has reiterated its commitment to replace the faulty ignition switches.

GM spokesman Jim Cain said in an e-mailed statement that the carmaker recognizes its "civil and legal obligations relating to injuries" related to the recalled cars. Cain added that GM has tapped the services of lawyer Kenneth Feinberg to advise it of its legal options. Feinberg is widely known for managing compensation funds for high-profile incidents like the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the BP Plc oil spill.

Since initiating the recall in February, GM has been facing lawsuits in behalf of individuals injured or killed in crashes involving recalled cars. The carmaker has also been facing lawsuits in behalf customers who claim that their cars had lost value due to its actions.

The plaintiffs have claimed that concealed having knowledge of the faulty ignition switch, which should mean that the carmaker was not entitled to protection from liability. The plaintiffs content that GM’s argument is suggesting that the federal government would still bail out the carmaker even if it knows of the company’s intentional misconduct. [source: Reuters]

If you liked the article, share on:

Pin It

Comments

Recommended

South Korean car company SsangYong recently revealed sketches of their upcoming SUV. We’re not always impressed by Korean car designs, but this one looks quite promising. Yup, it is the...
by - March 26, 2017
Twenty-eight years after the company was first launched by Toyota, which was initially targeted to the United States market only, Lexus has already made its way to over 70 countries....
by - March 26, 2017
Last year was probably Porsche’s best year ever in terms of sales. Their factory in Stuttgart delivered 237,778 cars in total, which represents a six percent increase compared to the...
by - March 26, 2017
Lamborghini has disclosed that it is looking into the possibility of releasing electric vehicles. With the Volkswagen Group revealing that it will be releasing electric vehicles within several years, there...
by - March 25, 2017
Daimler AG, through its Smart division, has disclosed that its two electric models, the Smart ForTwo and the Smart ForFour are now open for orders in Germany. Official market launch...
by - March 25, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries