GM CEO says no to Fiat Chrysler Marchionne’s merger plan

Article by Christian A., on May 28, 2015

An invitation to discuss a mega merger deal sent via email by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has been turned down by General Motors CEO Mary Barra last March, according to a recent report from the New York Times. Sources said that Marchionne suggested a merger of the global automakers so that they will save billions of dollars and form an automotive giant.

It’s not a surprise that Marchionne sent the email since he has been quite vocal in his plan for a consolidation. Last April 13, Reuters reported that Marchionne wanted a super merger, possibly in the U.S., to eliminate the weaknesses within the company and to strengthen his legacy before he steps down in early 2019.

The New York Times report revealed that Barra and other GM executives weren’t interested in the idea of a merger. Sources said that Marchionne had requested for a meeting and was “flatly turned down.” When Fiat Chrysler posted lower-than-expected in the first quarter, Marchionne made a plea in public to limit the number of players in the global auto industry.

When interviewed by the Times, Marchionne said that he has “always had this incredible sense of urgency.” He explained that he has always sought to “seize the moment” and create the conditions for it so that it produces opportunities that he can pick from.

Last May 4, Barra said that there not been any talks with Marchionne and that GM will continue with its own plan on investments for product development.

In an April 29 presentation, Marchionne said that if no traditional automakers pay attention to him, he might approach Silicon Valley companies, like Google or Apple, which are hoping to find ways to provide alternatives to traditional cars or car ownership.

On May 9, Marchionne said in Canada that he was in meetings with the Tesla Motors Inc. and Apple heads when he was in California. However, he didn’t give details. There have been speculations by analysts that Google or Apple may turn to an existing automaker or supplier to build vehicles as a contractor.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

Kia is taking things a step further with the new Kia Stinger, which they first introduced at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show. With the specs given to us by the...
by - June 25, 2017
Earlier this week, Nissan revealed a teaser of the new 2018 LEAF’s interior, giving us an idea of what the electric vehicle has to offer. The company released a video...
by - June 25, 2017
The primary suggestion of a 4x4 ute from French company Peugeot was first revealed in 2016. Fifteen months later, the production version is launched. Now, Peugeot is not shying away...
by - June 24, 2017
The new Jaguar E-Pace crossover will soon hold its official launch on July 13 and is expected to arrive at the showrooms by early next year. It couldn’t have come...
by - June 24, 2017
As prices of the original Shelby Cobra have skyrocketed into astronomical proportions, there are firms like Superformance that serve replicas to consumers who demand the same levels of performance at...
by - June 24, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries