GM to build the 2012 Buick Verano at its assembly plant in Orion Township

Article by Christian Andrei, on October 6, 2010

GM will announce tomorrow that it will begin the production of the Buick Verano a.k.a the new compact car. The new Verano will be built at GM’s assembly plant in Orion Township, Mich., according to published reports.

The new Buick Verano will be in fact a luxury version of the Chevrolet Cruze and will go on sale in 2012, and will be the first compact car since the Somerset Regal more than 20 years ago.

The new Verano will not be the only car built there, as GM is also planning to build the new Chevrolet Aveo, which was introduced last week at the 2010 Paris Motor Show, but also the Chevrolet Spark minicar in 2012.

Regarding the Chevrolet Aveo production, this car is a part of the recent agreement GM reached with the UAW that will allow the union to negotiate separate labor agreements for plants making small cars.

This will allow GM to profitably produce small cars in the United States. According to Automotive News, the agreement requires 60 percent of all hourly workers at the plant to receive traditional production wages of $28 an hour with full benefits. The remaining 40 percent receive about half that wage. [via autonews - sub. required]

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

In the minivan segment, the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is already impressive in terms of fuel economy figures – as rated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. In fact, the...
by - December 2, 2016
Having a blacked-out Bentley Mulsanne Speed is already menacing by itself but by naming it as the Bamford X, it became all the more imposing. This model was made by...
by - December 2, 2016
We have good news for those who are waiting for the latest version of the Mazda CX-5 compact crossover. It was just unveiled in November at the 2016 Los Angeles...
by - December 2, 2016
Those familiar with racing know that Marco Wittmann’s win during the 2016 Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters held last May was noteworthy as it was his second title in four seasons. In...
by - December 2, 2016
Volvo has revealed that while its products are used by a number of police organizations around the world, it will be the Swedish police that will get the first chance...
by - December 2, 2016
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries