Honda Motor Co. may have announced that car production will resume at all four of its plants in China on Friday; however, the outlook for next week is uncertain as some workers at a parts factory have yet to agree to fully return to work.
Last week, Honda stopped production in China after employees at a wholly owned parts factory, in Foshan, Guangdong province, held a strike.
They demanded pay increases and they refused to work until these were given and other conditions were met.
Last Wednesday, the parts factory resumed full production but a portion of the 1,900 workforce agreed to return only on Friday (which is the day the workers expect Honda to given in to the rest of their demands). Some workers have said that they will only go on strike again if Honda's response isn't satisfactory.
Honda specifically said that two of its plants operated by Guangqi Honda, a joint venture with the Guangzhou Auto Group, as well as an exports-only factory that is majority owned by Honda would resume production on Friday morning.
And on Friday afternoon, a separate factory run by Dongfeng Honda is expected to resume. On Saturday, production will still continue but Honda said that it has yet to decide if this will continue from Monday onwards.