Ford announced today that it is currently working on a flagship, large sedan that harkens back to the Continental as part of its effort to overhaul the Lincoln brand.
These plans were also confirmed by two dealers, who were at the Ford meeting. For those who don’t know, Ford executives began meeting with 900 representatives of 700 of its U.S. Lincoln dealerships at its Detroit area headquarters earlier Monday.
According to the latest reports, Ford wants to cut at least 200 Lincoln franchises in major metropolitan areas, in an attempt to inject more luxury into its last remaining premium brand.
Furthermore, Ford will introduce seven new or redesigned vehicles starting with the 2011 MKX Crossover. Unfortunately Ford didn’t release any details regarding its new models, but you can be sure that it will make quite a buzz on the market as it is trying to take Lincoln to international markets within five years.
According to Ford spokesman Christian Bokich, the American manufacturer showed concept-stage images of some of the upcoming vehicles.
Regarding a Continental-inspired sedan, Steve Kain, general manager of a Ford and Lincoln dealer in London said that he supported the idea of a car like that.
"It's about revitalizing the whole Lincoln franchise," said Kain. "It's no different when Ford did away with the Ford Taurus for a year and a half. They refreshed the vehicles, and it's been a great seller since then." [via autonews - sub. required]