Mercedes-Benz, in cooperation with watchmaker IWC Schaffhausen, will join the legendary Swiss hill climb Klausen Race with pre-war W 25 Silver Arrow. It was a similar W 25 Silver Arrow that Rudolf Caracciola piloted to set an all-time record in the 1934 Klausen Race. Driving the W 25 Silver Arrow at the latest edition of the race will be former racing driver Roland Asch.
The 11th International Klausen Race, which will occur from September 27 to 29, 2013, will be held under the motto “innovation is based on tradition” and links it with the ten original races held between 1922 and 1934. The W 25 Silver Arrow will be under the team name “IWC Mercedes-Benz Classic,” marking the tie-up between Mercedes-Benz Classic and IWC Schaffhausen.
Mercedes-Benz Classic's participation in the race commemorates the victory the carmaker had at the last original race on August 5, 1934, when works racing driver Rudolf Caracciola drove his W 25 to win racecar category with a time of 15:22:20 minutes. Caracciola also managed to set a record that remains unbroken until today.
Mercedes-Benz's revolutionary technology in the W 25 paved way to series of successes of Mercedes racecars -- catapulting the Silver Arrows to become motorsport icons. The Klausen Race -- considered as the “Hill Climb Grand Prix of Switzerland” -- is where the world’s best racing drivers gathered between 1922 and 1934. The 21.5-km route leads to the top of the Klausen Pass, with Grand Prix racecars having to manage around 136 corners. Anyone who conquered the Klausen Pass back then was considered as among the greatest racing drivers.
"The development of the Mercedes-Benz W 25 began in 1932; from 1934 it started in the new 750-kilogram formula. This formula specified a maximum weight of 750 kilograms for the vehicle (without operating fluids and tyres) – a measure the organisers intended to restrict the power of the racecars and thus the potential top speeds. For the new racing formula Mercedes-Benz developed a monoposto with a classic vehicle layout powered by a supercharged 3.4-litre in-line eight-cylinder engine: the front engine powered the rear wheels via a transmission on the rear axle. The W 25 raced between 1934 and 1936 and was continuously advanced during that time. The power output of the racecar jumped from initially 260 kW (354 hp) ultimately to 363 kW (494 hp) produced by the M 25 E engine from 1936 – displacement also grew to 4740 cc; the top speed was about 300 km/h." said the press release. [source: Daimler]