NEVS looking for way to use the Saab name and badge

Article by Christian Andrei, on June 28, 2012

National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS), the new owner of Saab, wants to find a way to get the right to use the Saab name and badge as soon as possible. Earlier this month, the Chinese Japanese investment group had purchased Saab from administrators as the Swedish automaker had to enter bankruptcy in late 2011 due to financial difficulties.

The Saab name and logo were not part of the sale. Permission would first have to be given by defense firm Saab AB and truck maker Scania, which both use the same griffin logo that Saab passenger cars also use.

This agreement was made back in 1990 when GM bought 50 percent of the passenger-car division of the single company that comprised Saab AB, Saab Autos and Scania.

When interviewed by Automotive News Europe, Scania spokesman Hans-Ake Danielsson said that NEVS’ request to use the trademark is still being discussed.

He said that they have to guard the name and brand and ensure that NEVS won’t put those at risk. NEVS spokesman Mikael Ostlund said all the parties are hoping to reach a solution the fastest that they can.

NEVS wants to produce an electric version of the Saab 9-3 at the Saab's factory in Trollhaettan in Sweden. NEVS aims to launch this model in late 2013 or early 2014.

Ostlund said that the electric 9-3 is the “first and major thing” in its plan. Kai Johan Jiang, the Swedish-Chinese alternative fuels entrepreneur, controls Hong Kong-based National Modern Energy Holdings, which holds 51% of NEVS. Japanese company Sun Investment owns the remaining 49%.

Topics: saab

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

When a car has been in the market for nearly six years, it loses some of its luster and its customers tend to go for the all-new model with a...
by - January 22, 2017
Remember Zenos Cars, a British carmaker that specializes in designing and building lightweight and high-performance sports cars? If you are wondering how the company is faring with their E10 lightweight...
by - January 21, 2017
Mercedes-Benz has revealed that in 2017, its series 124 coupé will be celebrating its 30th anniversary. While this itself is a significant event, it will also mean that this model...
by - January 21, 2017
BMW’s 550i xDrive has long been considered as one of the most successful business sedans in the world. For the brand, this may not be enough as it has officially...
by - January 20, 2017
Amazon is now moving beyond the four corners of online retailing. Only recently, the retail giant has been awarded a patent for its Road Network system. Since the patented technology...
by - January 20, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries