Porsche annual sales up 15% in 2011, boosted by Cayenne demand

Article by Christian A., on January 4, 2012

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) has revealed that sales in December last year reached 1,834 vehicles. Year-to-date sales were 29,023 vehicles, a 15 percent increase from the 25,320 vehicles sold in 2010. PCNA is a distributor and importer of Cayenne SUVs, Porsche sports cars and the Panamera four-door sports sedan range in the United States.

According to PCNA's President and CEO Detlev von Platen, 2011 signifies "a very positive step forward" for Porsche as well as demonstrates the brand's continued strength in the U.S. market. He further said that they are "confident" that they will build on this momentum moving forward into 2012 with the launch of a new Boxster, the 7th generation 911 and other new products.

A great portion of Porsche's success in its sales last year can be credited to the continuing momentum of the Cayenne SUV, the U.S. sales of which reached 12,978 units last year from 8,343 units in 2010 -- a 56 percent rise. In addition, the 911 also had continued success last year.

With the all-new 911 Carrera and Carrera S set to be launched for sale on February 4 in the U.S., sales of the current models remain strong with sales in 2011 reaching 6,016 units from 5,735 in 2010, a rise of 5 percent.

In addition, sales of Porsche's Approved Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles in December increased to 538 units compared to the 533 units the year before. CPO total sales last year were 8,323 units compared to 7,298 units in 2010.

The new Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid

Not the first Porsche model people immediately think of when the brand is mentioned but the Cayenne is proving to be increasingly popular with consumers worldwide. With more space, elegance, technological advancements and a sportier design, the latest model is pure driving pleasure.

The new Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid, the first of its kind with the new hybrid drive, is part of its next series. The company focused on providing a better, more modern and efficient drive with a significant increase in fuel economy, by up to 23% compared to previous iterations.

This new Hybrid has been designed using the Porsche Intelligent Performance principles, a guide set down to apply to all future Porsche models with the aim of increasing fuel efficiency, create much more power without using as much fuel, and provide reduced CO2 emissions.

With this in mind, currently 60% of the Cayenne's models are within the New European Driving Cycle of ten litres of fuel consumption / 100 km whereas the remaining 40%, i.e., the Cayenne Diesel and the S Hybrid stand at 195 g/km and 193 g/km respectively of CO2 emissions. The limit is 200 g/km.

This was made possible by some of the many innovations Porsche has brought in for the series including the Tiptronic S 8 speed automatic transmission, which comes with Auto Start Stop, cooling circuits, an enlarged range of gear increments, variable overrun cut-off, heated management of the engine and most of all the introduction of new lighter materials to bring down the overall weight of the vehicle.

This reduction in weight due to improved construction materials and changes to the Cayenne range has brought the overall weight down by 185 kg which is about 410 pounds. Much of this is due to the incredibly light all-wheel drive and the excellence of the new materials which has created a safer environment. Most of all, this is great for Porsche Cayenne fans as the number of steady improvements have meant CO2 emissions are down, as is fuel consumption. However, overall performance, dexterity and handling have significantly improved.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Cadillac’s CT6 full-size prestige-luxury sedan is still somewhat new. It has been offered to the global auto market for two model years – 2016 and 2017. But for those who...
by - February 19, 2017
In many industries, it is the rivalries that make things exciting. In basketball for example, there is the well-known rivalry between the Los Angeles Lakers against the Boston Celtics. For...
by - February 19, 2017
Now on sale in several major markets around the world including Europe, the BMW 5 Series (G30) heralds the arrival of the new seventh generation and represents a whole new...
by - February 19, 2017
Just recently, it was speculated that a new Porsche Cayman GT4 RS is coming. There is no official confirmation yet from the German sports car maker, but the arrival of...
by - February 18, 2017
Will there be a BMW M4 CS? Apparently, there is a Club Sport version of the BMWM4 after it was sighted in California doing a shoot for a new commercial...
by - February 18, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries