Renault drops plan to develop flagship sedan with Mercedes-Benz

Article by Christian Andrei, on March 16, 2013

Renault has withdrawn from a joint project with Mercedes-Benz to develop an upscale, rear-wheel drive sedan for the French automaker. A Renault spokesperson told Automotive News Europe that after determining that the business deal wasn’t favorable, it then decided to halt a feasibility study for a sedan based on the Mercedes E class platform.

Renault had been hoping to create a profit-boosting flagship model ever since it stopped making its poor-selling Vel Satis in 2009. This sedan would have had a price tag of around 50,000 euros ($65,000).

In a Wall Street Journal report, it was revealed that Renault scrapped the project since Daimler was offering parts from its existing E class, which would be close to the end of its life cycle when Renault would begin manufacturing its own version. Renault hasn’t yet made any comment to this report.

The spokesperson said that Renault's present partnerships with Daimler are still in place. According to Gaetan Toulemonde, a Deutsche Bank analyst, Renault will probably find another partner to help it develop an upscale sedan model. He said that there had been numerous failures among automakers that launched luxury models. To reduce the risks, Renault had to team up with another company to reinvent itself in the high-end segment.

This means that as talks with Daimler have broken down, Renault will probably seek someone else. At the Geneva Auto Show, Renault Chief Operating Officer Carlos Tavares told Automotive News Europe that the company will focus on the models that will succeed the Laguna large sedan, Espace minivan and a new large crossover.

After discontinuing the Vel Satis, Renault presented the Latitude in Europe, a variant of the Samsung SM5 produced in Korea. JATO Dynamics said that the Latitude’s European sales have fallen by 70% to 2,085 units last year compared to the prior year.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Retired Formula 1 driver Jenson Button has just received his brand new McLaren MSO 675LT Spider. This was confirmed after McLaren Beverly Hills posted a picture on its official Instagram...
by - January 24, 2017
Ford and Toyota have come together in the hopes of standardizing their vehicles’ smartphone integration system. The open-source platform is said to compete with Google Android Auto and Apple CarPlay...
by - January 24, 2017
The race to autonomous driving has been dictated by the need to make the road safer and reduce the incidents of vehicle crashes. Several major carmakers in the world have...
by - January 24, 2017
The Shooting Brake is probably the least rendered body shape in the automotive world. But it’s also the most sought after design among car nuts for its unique, old-fashioned charm....
by - January 23, 2017
Perhaps to make the upcoming Valentine’s day more special, Tinder dating app and Ford UK have cooked up a special blind date for all the single blokes and chicks in...
by - January 23, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries