U.S. calling on automakers to disable applications that distract drivers

Article by Christian Andrei, on February 19, 2012

The guidelines on distracted driving have finally been released by the U.S. Department of Transportation. The agency is calling on automakers to disable applications that permit drivers to manually access social media, send text messages, and surf the Web while they’re on the road. The agency also recommends the elimination of any in-car technologies that call for drivers to use both hands or take their eyes off the road for longer than two seconds. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said that as technology advances, there are increasingly more distractions aside from cell phones. LaHood is known for his focus on distracted driving as a major safety issue. He said that in-vehicle electronic systems are being developed by several automakers that offer directions, enable drivers to post to social networking sites, and search the Internet.

It should be emphasized that these guidelines are voluntary. This means that if automakers don’t comply, they won’t have to pay a penalty or experience a safety downgrade. NHTSA Administrator David Strickland said that in creating these guidelines, the agency had meetings with “countless" stakeholders, such as carmakers and independent research groups. The agency decided to make compliance optional so that regulators could get more flexibility in coping with the fast pace of technologies.

Strickland said that the agency is hopeful that automakers will make compliance with the guidelines a selling point to consumers in the same way that they have with other safety ratings. The public will be able to comment on these guidelines during the next 60 days. The agency has scheduled three public hearings in Washington, Chicago and Los Angeles this March. There were 3,092 deaths due to distracted driving in 2010. However, the NHTSA thinks that the total figure is actually higher since drivers are often reluctant to admit to the behavior and there are no witnesses to many crashes. [source: AutoWeek]

Topics: united states

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Login or Create new account to add a comment!

Recommended

Nikola Motor’s hydrogen-powered semi-trailer truck is highly appealing with its many advancements but don’t expect it to arrive in the near future. In November 2016, Toyota announced the possibility of...
by - December 5, 2016
Usually, it is up to resourceful spy photographers to take clear pictures of vehicle prototypes, especially those that have aroused a lot of interest. The same is true for Project...
by - December 5, 2016
The much-anticipated debut of the new Wrangler will surely happen. As it approaches, we’ve gathered all the latest information released so far. Of course, most are expecting that the next...
by - December 5, 2016
Nissan has announced the pricing for its new commercial pickup line. So for those who have been waiting for Nissan’s official price list (plus a little more info), read on… ...
by - December 5, 2016
Sorry folks, the AMG-fied Mercedes-Benz X-Class will remain in the fantasy world. According to some news, the AMG big boss has finally spoken up about why an AMG X-Class is...
by - December 5, 2016
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries