U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood continues fight vs. distracted driving

Article by Christian A., on January 21, 2011

A lot of criticism has been heaped on U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood from highway safety advocates but he says that he will continue to keep the issue of distracted driving at the top of his safety agenda.

In response to former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration head Jeffrey Runge’s negative comments, LaHood said that he will not be daunted by “false choices about addressing distracted driving on the one hand and alternative critical safety issues on the other.”

In an interview with USA Today last week, Runge said that the Transportation Department should redirect its focus on more common causes of traffic deaths and injuries.

The agency claims that because of distracted driving, about 5,500 people died and 500,000 people were injured in 2009. LaHood also received criticism from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety President Adrian Lund who said that texting bans have failed to lessen the incidence of distracted driving-related crashes.

LaHood insists that motorists are distracted by the use of mobile phones while driving. This includes hands-free calls made using vehicle information and he also listed entertainment systems such as Ford Motor Co.'s Sync and General Motors Co.'s OnStar.

LaHood said that he has a meeting next week with the chairmen of Ford and Chrysler Group LLC in Detroit to discuss how to curb distracted driving. He revealed that he has already met with executives of General Motors, Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG to discuss this matter. [via autonews - sub. required]

Topics: united states

If you liked the article, share on:

Pin It

Comments

Recommended

It’s quite safe to say that this generation marks the rise of the electric cars. For the past few years, automakers have been very busy trying to find the perfect...
by - March 28, 2017
Want to go for a sportier look, but don’t have enough cash to burn? Good news for future Ford Edge buyers, as the 2018 model year will have an optional...
by - March 28, 2017
Audi refreshes its portfolio as its go-faster division officially announces the release of six new RS models by the end of 2018. That’s quite a huge number of cars to...
by - March 28, 2017
Has Toyota started the production of a new electric supercharger? Well, a patent that was recently published indicated that they might have. And this electric supercharger looks more durable and...
by - March 27, 2017
The Tesla Model S has finally arrived in South Korean soil and is now available for test drive. But, there’s a catch. You’ll have to wait several months if you...
by - March 27, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries