Ford’s largest factory in the United Kingdom has reached a milestone of producing its 40 millionth engine. Since 1931, Ford Dagenham has been developing, engineering and producing engines for Ford vehicles including the Ford Escort, Cortina, Capri, Granada, and Transit models. Ford Dagenham, operated by Ford of Europe, now specialises in developing and manufacturing fuel-efficient diesel engines for Ford’s small, medium, and large car ranges as well as for the carmaker’s commercial vehicles. Ford Dagenham accounts for supplying more than 50 percent of global Ford diesel engine demand.
The engine manufacturing plant currently builds fuel-efficient power plants for the Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus and Ford Transit – all of which are considered as best-selling vehicles in the country. Ford Dagenham is responsible for producing the 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine that powers the latest Ford Fiesta ECOnetic model as well certain variants of Ford Focus, C-MAX, Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy. The 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine boasts of a fuel economy rating of 85.6mpg and low CO2 emissions of 87g/km, making it the most popular engine choice for UK fleet buyers.
Around 70 percent of Ford Dagenham’s total output are engines for Ford vehicles, while the remaining 30 percent – equivalent to around 270,000 engines – is for vehicles manufactured by Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, PSA Peugeot Citroën and Volvo. It is estimated that the combined petrol engine output at Ford Bridgend and diesel engines at Ford Dagenham is enough to power a third of Ford vehicles produced around the world. The Ford Bridgend and Dagenham plants have a total combined UK production capacity of two million engines, over 85 percent of which are exported.