BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe sells better than the Coupe and Convertible

Article by Christian A., on April 27, 2017

What defines a coupe? Well, according to the dictionary, “it is a car with a fixed roof and two doors”. Ok, now that it is clear, when does one not become a coupe? In this case, it is when it is a BMW Gran Coupe. You might think I’m confusing you here, but read along.

The 4 Series Gran Coupe was built with four doors and a liftback-style truck on its rear end. That simple description of the model will already raise several brows as it doesn’t correspond with the definition stated above. And if you think about it, its actually just a functional sedan. Now you get where I’m coming from. Though the car doesn’t match the name given to it, it is actually one of BMW’s best selling cars, out-selling the two-door coupe where it got its inspiration.

In fact, despite its later release, the total number of Gran Coupe that has been sold is higher than the figures of the traditional Coupe and the Convertible, combined - according to sales statistics shared by BMW. Globally, the Grand Coupe covers 54 percent of all 4 Series sales, whereas the remaining 46 percent is a shared by the traditional coupe and convertible.

One of the reasons for this is probably because the Gran Coupe has much more cargo capacity compared to the other two models - with as much as 45.9 cubic feet of room when the passenger seats are folded. That’s a lot for a sedan. In fact, it has more space that a 3 Series sedan which can only accommodate 17 cubic feet. But when the seats are upright, then the 4 Gran Coupe only has 15.8 cubic feet of space in its trunk.

With lower center of gravity and wider tracks, it makes the 4 Series Gran Coupe smoother to drive (Yup, better than a 3 Series). This model offers two types of turbo engines: either a 240 horsepower 2.0 liter four cylinder, or a 300 horsepower 3.0 liter inline six. With rear drive as a standard, and the all wheel drive as an option.

So, thats the story of the 4 Series Gran Coupe that is actually a sedan. But it will still be a favourite despite its deceiving name. And now, lets just watch out for the 2018 4 Series Gran Coupe.

For the new 2018 BMW 4 Series, all models have got a number of upgrades such as: new suspension settings, revised steering tuning, and of course, minimal design tweaks for a bit of a facelift. We’ll probably see reviews of the 2018 model online soon.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

It has been nearly eight years since Toyota entered a new era of sports cars when it officially unveiled the production version of the Toyota 86 – also known as...
by - February 27, 2019
The new Audi TT RS – yes, the top version of the German carmaker’s facelifted TT model series – is now officially here. If you could remember, the range-topping TT...
by - February 18, 2019
Nearly half a year ago when McLaren Automotive unveiled the McLaren 600LT Coupe, the British carmaker is now introducing a version that lets its passengers enjoy the thrill of an...
by - January 25, 2019
German carmaker Volkswagen is now making the latest evolution of the new Volkswagen Golf GTI -- the new Golf GTI TCR. First unveiled as a concept at the annual GTI...
by - January 24, 2019
It has been three and a half years since BMW unveiled the sixth generation of the BMW 7 Series. Thus, it is really about to give the 7 Series a...
by - January 17, 2019