Daimler may extend CEO Dieter Zetsche’s contract beyond 2016

Article by Christian A., on April 11, 2014

Dieter Zetsche is bound to see his contract as Daimler AG’s chief executive extended beyond 2016, according to senior executives at the German carmaker. In 2013, Daimler’s supervisory board extended Zetsche’s contract by only three years to 2016, but the carmaker’s current product momentum, improving profits and the recent exit of Mercedes-Benz production chief Andreas Renschler all points to some continuity in the CEO post, a person familiar with the thinking of the board told Reuters.

Daimler’s 20-member supervisory board formally appoints management board members. The source told Reuters that a formal decision won’t be made until before 2016, noting that the past year has shown “how much can change in 12 months. The source added the current momentum was working in favor of extending Zetsche's contract.

Last year, the supervisory board reshuffled its senior managers, sending Wolfgang Bernhard from Mercedes-Benz as production chief to head Daimler’s truck business. Daimler has acknowledged it was considering potential scenarios for succession, but said that no decision was imminent.

Supervisory board chairman Manfred Bischoff said at the annual general meeting that the board is preoccupying itself intensively with the issue of succession.

He noted that while it is not urgent topic, it has to be planned in advance. His remark was interpreted by senior Daimler executives as emphasizing the scenario that Zetsche's contract would be extended, according to another senior Daimler executive.

Daimler's labor representatives, who control half of the seats on the supervisory board, have demanded that the list of possible CEO candidates be extended beyond Bernhard and chief financial officer Bodo Uebber, a person privy with the board's thinking told Reuters. [source: automotive news - sub. required]

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

McLaren has already shown some interest in electrifying their models. And initially, we thought that they will just use hybrid systems to use across their current lineup. Nevertheless, we have...
by - August 19, 2017
Fifty years after its glorious victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Ford launches the 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition at the 2017 Monterey Car Week. The red...
by - August 18, 2017
Hyundai has recently unveiled an unnamed pre-production model of its new fuel cell SUV. We don’t know what to call this model just yet, but sources say that this model...
by - August 18, 2017
This weekend at the 2017 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the BMW Z4 Concept will make its first public appearance. The good news is that we will finally have a real...
by - August 18, 2017
While Honda’s new 2018 HR-V will be rolling out at the dealerships with just a few updates, the company is certainly not giving up its spot as the best-selling vehicle...
by - August 18, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries