3 of Ferrari’s top guys are now with Aston Martin, first task is to build 488 GTB competitor

Article by Christian A., on October 16, 2017

Aston Martin may be known for building many of the stylish Bond cars we see on the big screen but nobody really knew how it can get super aggressive when it comes to undermining the competition. Until now.

Andy Palmer, Aston Martin CEO recently discussed with Autoblog and shared more details about its plans for a mid-engine supercar. Like he said, the 488 GTB is the best car in its segment and that they are hell-bent on competing against it.

When asked how the company is going to take on the Ferrari 488 GTB, Palmer admittedly said that they need to recruit some of Ferrari’s key people particularly the head of engineering and the head of powertrains. In fact, he also admitted that there are three of them who are now already working for him.

One of them is Max Szwaj. He’s Ferrari’s former head of innovation and body structures and is now the vice president and CTO at Aston Martin. There is also Joerg Ross who used to work at Ferrari as the head of advanced engines. Now, Ross is Aston Martin’s chief engineer and head of powertrains.

The third recruit remains a mystery but we assume a formal announcement will be made later on. Palmer went on to say that if these three work with Aston Martin’s current hotshots like Marek Reichman (AM chief creative officer) and Nick Lines (AM chief planning officer), they would surely come with a great understanding of how the car will look like.

It seems that Aston Martin is trying to pull a classic stunt here and trying to beat its rivals by hiring key players from the other side of the team. But to those familiar with what goes around the industry, well, this doesn’t sound new at all.

When Autoblog went on by asking how much they have done so far and whether there already exists a clay model, Palmer confirms that there actually are some eight quarter scales and some clays already made. As a matter of fact, there is one that he is especially interested about and is currently at the Milton Keynes studio located in Southern England. He has fairly good reasons for pushing it out of the Gaydon factory seeing how he considers it to be the 488’s “replacement”.

Aston Martin’s upcoming mid-engine supercar is part of the company’s plans of launching new products every year for the next seven years. Now known as the Ferrari 488’s future competition, it will sit alongside the Vanquish GT and the Valkyrie hypercar and would come out a year after the DBX crossover’s debut sometime in 2019. That is to say, we should see it come around by 2020. For now, hold on to your seats and wait for Aston Martin to perform another "Bond" move.

Source: Autoblog.com

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

After months of previewing the e-tron all-electric sports utility vehicle through prototypes wrapped in bright orange and black camouflage, Audi has finally unveiled the final production version of the SUV...
by - September 20, 2018
There have been no straight six-cylinder engines at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles since 2007, when Jeep launched the Wrangler JK generation. While Chrysler had been using straight six-cylinder engines since 1964,...
by - September 19, 2018
Mercedes-AMG’s GT 4-door Coupe models now have a new member, in the guise of the AMG GT 43 4MATIC+. This new model is AMG’s newest entry-level offering, with a price...
by - September 18, 2018
It is better not to expect any new diesel engines from Cadillac, the luxury vehicle division of General Motors. After all, following much considerations of a number of factors, the...
by - September 18, 2018
BMW Group has a grand plan to launch 25 new electrified vehicles by 2025. Twelve of these will be full electric vehicles (battery EVs), including a new electric SUV that...
by - September 18, 2018