General Motors Co. and Isuzu Motors Ltd. are making a $60-million investment to upgrade technology in DMAX Ltd., their diesel engine joint venture in Moraine, Ohio. The investment will allow the companies to enable design changes to comply with future emission requirements as well as keep 500 workers at the site, GM said in a statement.
Since 2000, the venture – owned 60 percent by GM and 40 percent by Suzuki -- has built nearly 1.6 million diesel engines for heavy-duty trucks in the United States since starting operations in 2000, GM said. The plant builds the Duramax 6.6-liter turbo diesel engine featured in the heavy-duty versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks. The engine could also be offered for the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans.
According to GM, a 2.8-liter turbo diesel engine will be available in 2015 for the 2016-model mid-size pickup trucks, the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. The company is also considering diesel variants of the light-duty versions of the Silverado and Sierra. The plant has received $760 million since 2000 from GM and Suzuki.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates GM’s commitment to continuously invest in technologies that reduce the impact of our vehicles on the environment, while maintaining performance attributes required by customers in the areas of towing and hauling loads,” said GM North America Manufacturing Manager Christine Sitek. “This investment represents a vote of confidence in our employees and IUE-CWA Local 755, who have consistently demonstrated their commitment and dedication to building the best diesel engine possible,” Sitek said.
DMAX Ltd., a joint venture between General Motors and Isuzu, is investing around $60 million in its engine facility to implement changes in powerplant designs to comply with future emissions requirements. In the process, the investment will allow DMAX to retain around 500 jobs.
Formed in 1998 and opened in 2000, the DMAX is a joint venture, 60 percent of which is owned by GM while the remaining 40 percent is held by Isuzu. It produced nearly 1.6 million Duramax diesel engines for heavy-duty trucks since commencing operations. Since 2000, DMAX has injected around $760 million in investments in its facility.
Christine Sitek, GM North America Manufacturing Manager, remarked that the investment announcement is a demonstration of the carmaker’s commitment to invest in technologies that allow GM to reduce the environmental impact of its vehicles while retaining their towing and hauling performances. Sitek added that the investment represents a vote of confidence in GM’s employees and IUE-CWA Local 755, noting that its workers have been showing their commitment and dedication to producing the best diesel engine possible.
Sitek noted that the joint venture exemplifies the achievements that could be attained by a successful global partnership. Sitek also noted the commitment and leadership role of Isuzu for the success of the joint venture.
DMAX produces the Duramax 6.6-liter Turbo Diesel mill found in the engine bays of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra and is available in the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana full-size vans. The current Duramax engine is SAE-certified to generate 397 hp (296 kW) of output at 3,000 rpm and 765 lb.-ft. (1,037 Nm) of peak torque available at 1,600 rpm. All Duramax engines employ a high-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system that allows higher levels of fuel efficiency and performance while offering lower emissions.
Maho Mitsuya, DMAX president and chief operating officer, quipped that the partnership between GM, Isuzu and IUE-CWA Local 755 continues to bring fresh investments into the facility. He noted that while the performance of Duramax diesel is renowned in the auto industry, the updates in the design to improve emissions will make these mills better.