GM dismissed 15 employees over delays in faulty switch ignition recall

Article by Christian A., on June 6, 2014

Fifteen employees – including at least eight executives – at General Motors have been dismissed following after an internal probe found “a pattern of incompetence and neglect” that resulted to more than a decade years of delays in recalling faulty vehicles.

GM chief executive Mary Barra remarked that the carmaker would address future safety issues differently than it had and has warned employees that any failure to report risks would make them “part of the problem.” She also urged employees to contact her directly if they fail to have possible defects addressed themselves.

Barra disclosed that the investigation report submitted by Anton Valukas showed no evidence of an intentional whitewash or that “any employee made a tradeoff between safety and cost.” The report concluded that employees initially believed that the problem was a customer-satisfaction issue instead of being a fault that could result to crashes or deaths.

Barra disclosed that GM is planning to set up a compensation fund for those who were affected by crashes tied to the ignition switch. In a statement, GM Chairman Tim Solso said that the carmaker’s board of directors will establish a stand-alone committee to oversee “risk-management” issues.

He remarked that Valukas’ report concluded that Barra, GM President Dan Ammann and global product-development chief Mark Reuss were not aware of the faulty ignition switch matter until December 2013, just before the carmaker decided to issue a recall.

In a meeting with GM employees, Barra dubbed the report as “extremely thorough, brutally tough and deeply troubling.” She remarked engineers and others who had knowledge of the issues as early as 2003 “misdiagnosed the problem from the very beginning” and failed to treat the matter with the appropriate level of urgency.

Those who were dismissed include Ray DeGiorgio, designer of the ignition switch, and Gary Altman, the program engineering manager for the Chevrolet Cobalt, people privy with the matter told Automotive News. [source: GM]

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

TOYOTA GAZOO Racing revealed that it will be participating in the 2018 Tokyo Auto Salon with the theme “Meister's Workshop.” The company will showcase models that have been part of...
by - December 16, 2017
Infiniti has commenced sales of the new 2018 Infiniti QX80 full-size luxury sports utility vehicle. Aside from the standard specs and optional features, potential customers would want to know how...
by - December 15, 2017
If there is one thing that Pagani Automobili and Fiat have in common, it is the fact that they are Italian companies that build and assemble vehicles. There is currently...
by - December 15, 2017
It’s Star Wars fever once again, and the second installation of the trilogy sequel -- “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” -- is finally hitting theaters. Avid fans of the franchise...
by - December 15, 2017
Audi Sport is known for creating high performance versions of some Audi vehicles, with a focus on higher levels of sportiness. So far, its high-performance creations are all powered by...
by - December 14, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries