A new pavilion inspired by the silhouette of a Porsche 911 has just been inaugurated at Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This is located in Wolfsburg's Autostadt. This new exhibition building features a prominent matt roof design that’s curved and gleaming. About 200 guests made it to the inauguration.
In attendance were Matthias Müller, President and CEO of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, and Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG respectively.
Other top executives who made it to the ceremony were Dr. Wolfgang Porsche, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Porsche, Volkswagen Supervisory Board members Ursula and Prof. Dr. Ferdinand Piëch, and Otto F. Wachs, Autostadt's Chief Executive Officer.
The foundation stone of the new exhibition area was laid by Matthias Müller and Otto F. Wachs last October. It took just 10 months for an edifice to be built in the pavilion.
This was made possible by the partnership between Porsche and Autostadt, together with architectural practices Henn Architekten for the architecture, HG Marz Architekten for the presentation and WES & Partner Architekten for its landscaping.
The edifice is set in what appears to be a park and lakeland. The monocoque construction (which is French for "single shell") used the "surface-active structure" principle, which is in line with Porsche’s inclination for lightweight design.
The stainless steel roof structure is a self-supporting shell. As soon as visitors get inside, they can’t help but be focused on the exhibition. There are 25 vehicles on the pavilion’s center stage.
These models take viewers on a trip of how the sports car brand had developed. Beginning with the 1948 vintage Porsche 356, Porsche is displaying 1:3 scale Porsche models, starting with the oldest model lines to the three currently available Zuffenhausen sports cars.
Visitors could get more insight about the brand’s philosophy and values by checking out the thematic films, audio histories and media installations there.