Saab continues talks with Chinese investors on a takeover deal

Article by Christian A., on November 17, 2011

Even when a memorandum of understanding signed by the parties only runs until Nov. 15, Saab said that the negotiations between its owner, Swedish Automobile, and two Chinese investors will continue. Saab spokeswoman Gunilla Gustavs said that talks are ongoing over the structure of the takeover deal. It was three weeks ago that the Chinese companies, Pang Da Automobile Trade Co. and Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Automobile Co., signed a memorandum of understanding with Swedish Automobile. They agreed to pay 100 million euros ($142 million) to purchase all of the shares in Saab.

This is the replacement of the first rescue plan proposed by Youngman and Pang Da, which had both agreed to take a combined 53.9% stake in Swedish Automobile for 245 million euros ($340 million).

According to the court details unveiled at the end of October, the Chinese companies said that they will put in over a half a billion euros ($709 million) additional capital into Saab as part of its goal to make the automaker more profitable by 2014.

But General Motors Co., the former owner of Saab, contradicted the deal and said it won't continue to license its technology to Saab after the proposed ownership change. This strategy could end plans to sell the brand. Gustavs said that the talks continue in the hopes that a “workable solution” will be reached. [source: AutoWeek]

Topics: saab, china

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

What has BMW been up to lately? The company recently announced that they are currently focusing on electrification, and so far, their new architecture will enable “electrification of every model...
by - July 26, 2017
A couple of days ago, Ford came out with their pursuit-rated F-150 Police Responder, and we were quite impressed with what it has to offer. And we are pretty sure...
by - July 26, 2017
Aside from fronting Honda’s annual summer tour, pop rock band OneRepublic was also given an opportunity to customize a 2017 Honda Civic Type R. The car is a one-off and...
by - July 26, 2017
Everyone seems to know that the Alfa Romeo Giulia has been recently experiencing problems. Turns out, the blame goes to Giulia’s software. Reid Bigland, big time executive from Alfa Romeo...
by - July 26, 2017
Romanian automotive media publication cars.ro earlier said that the new Ford Fiesta will no longer be offered in the United States. Robert Stiller, Ford’s vehicle program manager for the B-segment,...
by - July 26, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries