The famous winged arrow of Škoda celebrates its 85th anniversary on May 10. The first Škoda to sport the interesting logo was manufactured in the assembly line in Mladá Boleslav and was delivered to President Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk of Czechoslovakia. During the three years ended 1929, there were only 100 units of this luxury vehicle manufactured.
By that time, the industrial manufacturer from Pilsen had already purchased the license to produce these premium sedans from Spain-based Hispano-Suiza in 1924, which is a year before the merger with the automobile factory of Laurin & Klement.
Production of this luxury model started in the spring of 1925 and was not finished until May 1926. The design has been headed by the leading coachbuilders during that time, which are Messrs. Brožík & Jech. It was later penned by Messrs. Laurin & Klement.
Each Škoda Hispano Suiza 25/100 PS was tailor-made to accommodate the specific requirements of each customer. This means that no two units were alike. With a weigh of 2,700 kilograms, the vehicle was able to reach a top speed of 86 mph. Prices for the vehicle began at £6,785 and were substantially higher than those of other vehicles in the market.
Depending on the level of equipment, prices can reach to as high as £8,928. To compare, the beautiful Škoda 860 at that time was priced at £4,200 while the smaller Škoda 422 cost £1,360.