Volkswagen plans to discontinue Polo two-door versions

Article by Christian A., on March 11, 2015

Volkswagen would discontinue the two-door versions of the Polo hatchback when it launches an over-hauled version of the model in 2017 as it bids to cut costs at its core division, people privy with the matter told Reuters. The sources said that only the four-door versions would remain, as demand for the two-door variant has been falling.

VW is trimming the number of parts and dropping unprofitable models like the Eos convertible in order to boost cost savings at its namesake brand to EUR5 billion ($5.5 billion) annually by 2017. VW is also becoming more reliant on the gradual adoption of its MQB modular platform for building a wide range of vehicles.

The Polo, however, is not yet underpinned by the MQB. VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn recently said at the Geneva auto show that the company is on track with its efficiency program. A spokesman for the carmaker, however, said that "there are no decisions yet" on future line-ups of the Polo and Beetle models.

The dropping of the two-door variants of the Polo was also reported by the Spiegel magazine, saying that such move would result to saving of around EUR200 million. The German magazine also reported that the VW could also discontinue the Beetle, without citing any information source.

Earlier this year, VW works council chief Bern Osterloh there was potential to cut costs by "substantially more" than the planned EUR5 billion by tackling the costly proliferation of models and parts at the VW brand. The Polo was Europe's fourth best-selling vehicle in 2014, next to the VW Golf, Ford Fiesta and Renault Clio, according to JATO.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

The 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio is known as the world’s fastest SUV after proving itself lethal around the Nurburgring with a lap time of 7:51.7. Under its hood is...
by - February 19, 2018
After going through a number of tests in Germany, the BMW 320d was deemed to be fully compliant will all legal requirements by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA)....
by - February 19, 2018
Finally, another automaker is getting on the SUV bandwagon. About to reveal its very first SUV is Rolls-Royce, which stated that “the wait is almost over” as it prepares to...
by - February 18, 2018
A lot of people question why there is even a 2018 Mercedes-AMG S65, firstly because it costs a lot more than the S63 sedan ($82,500 more) and yet, it is...
by - February 17, 2018
For those of you who are interested to own one of the BMW i8 Roadsters, be ready to spend some serious cash as the convertible that made its debut at...
by - February 16, 2018
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries