Volkswagen plans to discontinue Polo two-door versions

Article by Christian A., on March 11, 2015

Volkswagen would discontinue the two-door versions of the Polo hatchback when it launches an over-hauled version of the model in 2017 as it bids to cut costs at its core division, people privy with the matter told Reuters. The sources said that only the four-door versions would remain, as demand for the two-door variant has been falling.

VW is trimming the number of parts and dropping unprofitable models like the Eos convertible in order to boost cost savings at its namesake brand to EUR5 billion ($5.5 billion) annually by 2017. VW is also becoming more reliant on the gradual adoption of its MQB modular platform for building a wide range of vehicles.

The Polo, however, is not yet underpinned by the MQB. VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn recently said at the Geneva auto show that the company is on track with its efficiency program. A spokesman for the carmaker, however, said that "there are no decisions yet" on future line-ups of the Polo and Beetle models.

The dropping of the two-door variants of the Polo was also reported by the Spiegel magazine, saying that such move would result to saving of around EUR200 million. The German magazine also reported that the VW could also discontinue the Beetle, without citing any information source.

Earlier this year, VW works council chief Bern Osterloh there was potential to cut costs by "substantially more" than the planned EUR5 billion by tackling the costly proliferation of models and parts at the VW brand. The Polo was Europe's fourth best-selling vehicle in 2014, next to the VW Golf, Ford Fiesta and Renault Clio, according to JATO.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

A lot of us know Singer Vehicle Design and their signature work of reimagining Porsche 911s, and making them look like hot rods from the 70s. They are not alone...
by - August 20, 2017
August 17, 2017 is a sad day for the Dodge Viper, its fans, enthusiasts and its admirers. It is the day when the last Dodge Viper rolled off the assembly...
by - August 20, 2017
A few months ago, Mercedes-Benz promised that they will be treating everyone to a “big surprise” during the Monterey Car Week. And true enough, many of us were stunned as...
by - August 19, 2017
McLaren has already shown some interest in electrifying their models. And initially, we thought that they will just use hybrid systems to use across their current lineup. Nevertheless, we have...
by - August 19, 2017
Fifty years after its glorious victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Ford launches the 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage Edition at the 2017 Monterey Car Week. The red...
by - August 18, 2017
Facebook

Youtube Channel

Tip Us
Do you have a tip for us?
Did you film an important event?
Contact us
Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Subscribe
Galleries