Rumour: Mercedes-Benz will pull out from 2019 Detroit Auto Show

Article by Christian A., on February 12, 2018

There have been a number of reports lately regarding Mercedes-Benz and how the automaker is expected to withdraw from the 2019 North American International Auto Show that will take place next January in Detroit. And this is why we would like to clarify these statements with representatives from Mercedes-Benz.

Man Muncey, North American International Auto Show PR Manager, did respond to one inquiry saying that they have not heard from Mercedes-Benz regarding this matter just yet. Muncey also said in the email that it is not right for him to comment on this matter, unless they hear a statement or an answer from the automaker itself.

The first time we heard about this was when Automotive News cited a senior executive at Mercedes. Apparently, he said that the automaker will have to decide whether the North American International Show fits with the cadence of their launch calendar and if perhaps, there is a more effective format for its needs. After saying that, he then allegedly said that the brand might return for 2020.

If this report is accurate, then it would definitely create waves in what we regard as the premiere auto show for North America, considering the fact that Mercedes has a huge presence at the January event.

In fact, last month alone, they brought their presence to a whole new level with the much anticipated launch of the new G-Class SUV. Alongside this new model, the automaker also brought in an original 1979 G-Class that is embedded in synthetic resin - a display that we have definitely never seen before. We are pretty sure that no one missed this during the show as it was just displayed outside Cobo Hall. Did you know that the whole installation weighed as much as 44 tons?

For a couple of years now, we have been noticing a trend where major automakers have started to move away from the biggest trade shows. In the last Detroit show, automakers like Volvo, Mazda, and Porsche did not make an appearance.

Even at Frankfurt last year, we missed out on Peugeot and Nissan. The main reason for this could be expenses as transporting cars from one country to another can be very expensive. Plus, in today’s world, all you need is a phone and an internet connection to be up to date with new vehicle launches. The message reaches more people for a fraction of the cost.

As of now, we obviously do not know the real story yet, but we will keep you up to date when we hear a confirmation from Mercedes Benz.

If you liked the article, share on:

Comments

Recommended

It is already an open secret that the newest Police Interceptor Utility is the police cruiser version of the 2020 Ford Explorer. But there is surprise. As revealed at the...
by - February 12, 2019
Ford Motor Co.’s Explorer family of sports utility vehicles has just been expanded with the arrival of two new models. The base, XLT, Limited and Platinum models of the Explorer...
by - January 30, 2019
It has been three years since Toyota’s luxury division, Lexus, unveiled the LC Coupe at the 2016 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), which is also known as the Detroit...
by - January 23, 2019
The 2019 Detroit Auto Show – formally known as the North American International Auto Show – is standing witness to the debut of the refreshed iteration of the Lexus RC...
by - January 22, 2019
Ford surprised visitors at the 2019 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit, Michigan when it introduced the all-new 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, which it touts as the...
by - January 21, 2019